Saturday, March 23, 2013

Playtex Nursers with Milk Storage Bags

These are my favorite bottle! I know, also the most wasteful bottle on the market. But we use these very rarely for my breastfed baby and Lansinoh breast milk storage bags *do* fit inside these bottles! I remember someone (my mom?) using these bottles years ago before they had the drop in system. Back then there were liners more like the breast milk storage bags that wrapped over the top of the bottle and then the nipple screwed on the top. Though I've used the drop ins too, I found that the storage bags work just as well so as long as you store your milk in one serving size (which I made the mistake of not doing), you can go from storage to bottle without having to pour from one container to another! Since my son didn't need many bottles this was the perfect solution.
I didn't want to use these bottles since they can be incredibly wasteful, especially if your baby is strictly bottle fed. Now I know washing bottles sucks but for me, I have to wash the nipple and outer part anyway, what's one more piece? The only reason we tried these bottles is he refused to take the lovely, cheap, BPA free, glass Evenflo bottles. The nipple seems to flow really fast even in the stage 1 nipple and it's quite narrow. My parents had the Playtex bottles left over from my niece (and from me and my siblings!) so I bought a few new nipples and tried them out. My parents also had bottle liners left over so I didn't have to buy them. They sell generic ones at Target for really cheap!
I wouldn't recommend these for a strictly bottle fed baby as they are very wasteful in my opinion but I've never heard of a baby that didn't like them. I've recommended them many times to breastfeeding moms whose babies refuse bottles. Maybe it's the wider nipple that reminds them of mom and the slow flow is much slower, also like mom.
I hope this helps a breastfeeding mom (or bottle feeding mom!) find a solution for her picky baby. When I had searched to see if Lansinoh bags were compatible with the Playtex Nursers, people on forums debated about it but I couldn't find a good review. So hopefully this helps someone out that searches like I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment